Modern society, social media, and other outside forces convince us that we’re not living up to the best version of ourselves. So, despite already maxing out our willpower, we continue to try to add more and more habits to reach this idealized version of ourselves.
But here’s the thing…
The fastest and most effective way to create positive change in your life is by subtracting habits that no longer serve you, instead of just letting them pile up.
Because we each have a finite amount of willpower, motivation, and discipline. And when we push ourselves too hard or try to do too many things, we sacrifice our self-awareness. And this self-awareness is what leads to true positive change.
As you prepare for 2024, I’m challenging you to subtract habits and activities that no longer serve your best interest instead of stacking more habits onto your already busy schedule.
In today’s show (my last solo show of 2023), I’m giving your permission to take things away this month, so you create the change you crave in 2024 (and beyond).
During this episode, we’ll discuss:
- Why subtracting habits and activities creates more rapid (and lasting) change than adding more to your plate
- What can you take away this month to make space for the change that you want to create in 2024?
- How to use 2024 to increase your happiness, fulfillment, and fitness
The Better Man Podcast is an exploration of our health and well-being outside of our physical fitness, exploring and redefining what it means to be better as a man; being the best version of ourselves we can be, while adopting a more comprehensive understanding of our total health and wellness. I hope it inspires you to be better!
Use the RSS link to find the Better Man Podcast on other apps: http://feeds.libsyn.com/404744/rss
Episode 075 Highlights
- Want to make 2024 better than 2023? Here’s why subtracting things is more effective for change than stacking up even more things (0:53)
- The insidious temptation spurred onto you by social media that prevents you from making meaningful change (2:03)
- 3 questions to ask yourself to instantly reveal which habits are no longer serving your best interests (5:10)
- How your ego feeds on external validation and tricks you into creating new habits that derail your happiness (and how to “spot” this sooner) ( 7:27)
- Why scrolling on social media gives you a weird sense of body dysmorphia (even when you’re satisfied with your physique) (10:10)
- How adding a few mindfulness activities into your life can help you eat better, exercise more, and live a healthier lifestyle (12:22)
- 2 books to add to your 2024 reading list that will boost your overall joy and fulfillment (13:08)
- How changing your environment to suit your goals brings faster change than motivation, willpower, and discipline combined (14:45)
- 3 Man Flow Yoga programs that will build your self-awareness in a hurry (17:13)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Donate to Movember & support Men’s Health Awareness Month: Every November, I team up with Movember to raise money to support men’s health issues. We’ve raised $13,503 since 2020. Want to help men everywhere by raising awareness for issues they’re battling through? Donate here: https://ManFlowYoga.com/Movember
Want to improve your sexual wellness, get stronger erections, and last longer in bed? Then join the FREE 7-Day Sexual Wellness Challenge here: https://shrtlnk.co/uA27H
Want to unlock more flexibility and strength, reduce your risk of injury, and feel your absolute best over the next 7 days? Then join the FREE 7-Day Beginner’s Yoga for Men Challenge here: https://ManFlowYoga.com/7dc.
Tired of doing a form of yoga that causes more injuries than it helps prevent? The cold, hard truth is men need yoga specifically designed for them. Well, here’s some good news: You can start your 7-day free trial to Man Flow Yoga by visiting https://ManFlowYoga.com/join.
Rate & Review
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!
More Podcast Content
Motivation is a fickle beast. One day, your motivation soars and you finally start a fitness program. The next day, your…
What do you do when you’re stuck in a rut and your motivation is running out?
If your first reaction is to…
How Low-Effort Exercise Enhances Your Health More Than High-Intensity Workouts | Brian Mackenzie | Better Man Podcast Ep. 083
Men today live in a constant state of stress. Despite never being safer from external threats, modern society presents us with…
The Power of Being Alone: My 24-Hour Solo Retreat Experience | Dean Pohlman | Better Man Podcast Ep. 082
Today’s hustle culture tricks men, myself included, into jamming more activities into our day to become more productive, more successful, and…
Why Having a Million Dollars in Your Bank Account Won’t Make You Happy | Noah Kagan | Better Man Podcast Ep. 081
Go up to any man on the street and ask him whether he’d like to have more money, and you’ll get…
How To Boost Your Productivity & Work-Life Balance When Working from Home | Dean Pohlman | Better Man Podcast Ep. 080
More people than ever have the option to work from home.
But is working from home all it’s cracked up to be?