There are several different types of yoga, and each has different goals. I’m not talking about different schools of yoga (like hatha or yin yoga), but different focuses of yoga.
For example, some routines focus on muscle activation to build strength. Some focus on your range of motion and flexibility to prevent injuries. And others aren’t even fitness-focused, and instead are best used to reduce stress and fortify your mental health.
So, which type of yoga should you choose?
Well, it depends on two things:
- Your daily goals: What do you want to accomplish today? Are you combining your workout with another routine? Or using yoga as a standalone workout?
- The time of day: Your yoga workouts should complement your energy goals for that particular time. Do you need more energy and improved focus? Or do you need to de-stress and wind down for sleep?
In this episode, I break down the different ways you can do yoga, as a standalone workout, combining it with other workouts, as well as complementing your energy goals for different times of the day.
Want to make your yoga practice more effective and helpful for your goals?
The Better Man Podcast is an exploration of our health and well-being outside of our physical fitness, exploring and redefining what it means to be better as a man; being the best version of ourselves we can be, while adopting a more comprehensive understanding of our total health and wellness. I hope it inspires you to be better!
Use the RSS link to find the Better Man Podcast on other apps: http://feeds.libsyn.com/404744/rss
Watch a Clip From Episode 047
Episode 047 Highlights
- Why doing a stretching routine before an intense workout heightens your risk of injury (and what type of yoga to do instead before intense workouts) (1:56)
- Should you “stack” yoga with other workouts or do yoga as your main workout? Here’s when to use both methods… (2:06)
- The 4 different “types” of Man Flow Yoga—and how to pick which type to do depending on your daily goals (2:21)
- Why 20 minute routines are the “sweet spot” for unlocking the most benefit from yoga in the least amount of time (5:58)
- How using yoga as a warmup for lifting, running, or cycling can prevent injuries and soreness and help you set new PRs (8:54)
- The “Yoga Cool Down” trick for fast tracking your recovering and preventing soreness after intense workouts (12:25)
- Why your workouts never need to be longer than 90 minutes (and why only 30 minutes is plenty) (15:38)
- How to pick the best yoga routine depending on if you’re exercising in the morning, the afternoon, or before bed (16:46)
The Different Types of Man Flow Yoga Workouts (with links):
Overall Fitness workouts:
If you’re looking for an overall fitness Man Flow Yoga workout (to use as a complement or standalone), I recommend The Beginner’s FUNdamentals program.
If you’re looking for flexibility-focused Man Flow Yoga workouts, I recommend The Breath Series 28-Day Challenge.
Restorative and Stress-Relief workouts:
Tired of doing a form of yoga that causes more injuries than it helps prevent? The cold, hard truth is men need yoga specifically designed for them. Well, here’s some good news: You can start your 7-day free trial to Man Flow Yoga by visiting https://ManFlowYoga.com/join.
Fit Father Project is offering all Better Man Podcast listeners an exclusive 35% discount to join their FF30X Weight Loss Program. Sign up before the discount expires at FitFatherProject.com/mfy.
Rate & Review
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!
More Podcast Content
What do you do when you’re stuck in a rut and your motivation is running out?
If your first reaction is to…
How Low-Effort Exercise Enhances Your Health More Than High-Intensity Workouts | Brian Mackenzie | Better Man Podcast Ep. 083
Men today live in a constant state of stress. Despite never being safer from external threats, modern society presents us with…
The Power of Being Alone: My 24-Hour Solo Retreat Experience | Dean Pohlman | Better Man Podcast Ep. 082
Today’s hustle culture tricks men, myself included, into jamming more activities into our day to become more productive, more successful, and…
Why Having a Million Dollars in Your Bank Account Won’t Make You Happy | Noah Kagan | Better Man Podcast Ep. 081
Go up to any man on the street and ask him whether he’d like to have more money, and you’ll get…
How To Boost Your Productivity & Work-Life Balance When Working from Home | Dean Pohlman | Better Man Podcast Ep. 080
More people than ever have the option to work from home.
But is working from home all it’s cracked up to be?
How to Push Past Your Limiting Beliefs by Operating at a Higher Frequency | Jason Drees | Better Man Podcast Ep. 079
What if I told you that there’s only one thing standing between you and the most impossible goal you could think…