What is a weekend warrior? Weekend Warriors work hard and play hard. On the weekend you’re hiking, working out, running, and doing spartan races. Whatever it is, you’re up for the challenge. But during the week, life gets in the way. Work, family and other obligations make it impossible to go to regular group fitness classes. During the week, you want to make sure you stay strong and do what you can do prevent injury for your weekend workouts, but your time is limited. You also may have this idea that the only type of fitness worth doing is high-impact, intense exercise, when really it’s just one part of exercise.
This informative blog includes:
- Common Issues for Weekend Warriors
- Challenges of Weekend Warriors
- How Weekend Warriors Can Stay Strong & Prevent Injury
- How can Man Flow Yoga help?
Common Issues for Weekend Warriors
- High risk of injury. You may have already experienced injury, or are looking to prevent it from happening (if it hasn’t happened yet).
- Excessive soreness. Doing a high number of workouts on the weekend to compensate for missed workouts during the week.
- Life gets in the way – limited time during the week. Children, relationships, and career take more time than we want, and we don’t get time to take care of ourselves.
- Losing a step. Not able to do the things you used to do, needing more warm-up, and feeling more soreness the next day.
Challenges of Weekend Warriors
- Limited time during the week. Not having time for workouts, not enough time for adequate sleep, or making healthy meals.
- Flexibility problems. Lack of flexibility work, sitting at a desk, and general inactivity lead to a huge decrease in flexibility. (Getting older doesn’t help with this, either!)
- Too much high-intensity exercise. Lack of restorative exercise, flexibility training, and less intense (but necessary) fitness.
- Sitting at a desk and being inactive during the week. This decreases hip mobility, hip strength, core strength, and shoulder strength & mobility. It also leads to back pain and greatly increases your risk of injury.
How Weekend Warriors Can Stay Strong & Prevent Injury
- Finding the time for quick & effective 20-30 minute workouts during the week. You might not have time for a full 1-hour workout, but by removing travel time from the equation and allowing you to work out whenever & wherever, you can make time for 20 or 30 minutes.
- Spending time on flexibility and mobility training for 20-30 minutes per day, 3 times per week. This is essential for keeping your muscles flexibility and strong. It will help prevent injury, and enable you to continue doing the activities you love.
- Learning how to live a healthier lifestyle with minimal time commitment. How to fit workouts into your busy schedule, how to eat healthy with less time for food prep, and making the most efficient use of your time.
- Being more active during the day at your desk job. Getting up every hour or so to stretch, take a quick walk, or making efforts to stand more often.
How Man Flow Yoga helps
- Strength Foundations Course – Address the most common underlying causes of injury and weakness, increase your flexibility & mobility, and improve muscle activation. This is an injury-prevention program for all types of fitness. Workouts are 30-40 minutes, recommended 3 minimum workouts per week. No yoga experience or flexibility required
- The Posture Fix – A program designed for office workers to help undo the stress of sitting at a desk. Improve hip & shoulder flexibility, strengthen your spine, and get rid of lower-back pain & discomfort.
- Which “path” is right for you? We’ve developed specific “paths” at MFY to help people follow programs specific to their needs and challenges. Our Weekend Warriors usually identify with one or more of the following: (1) Yoga for Athletes and (2) Injury-Prevention & Rehabilitation.
Looking For A Program?
If you’re interested in starting a yoga program with Man Flow Yoga to gain strength, flexibility, and mobility, BUT don’t know where to start, we got you covered. Give our FREE 7-Day Challenge a try. Sign-up below! Signup for the FREE 7-Day Challenge
Signup for the FREE 7-Day Challenge
About the author, Dean Pohlman, Founder & CEO of Man Flow Yoga, Author of Yoga Fitness for Men, Expert on Yoga Fitness for Men.
Looking for non-spiritual, yoga for men workouts?
Learn More About Man Flow Yoga and how it can help you with your fitness goals:
Join Today for Instant Access!